& updates Standby
1952 Ferrari 212 Export barchetta
Why am I an Automotive Masterpiece?
The Ferrari 212 Export was a sports racing car presented in 1951 at the Geneva Motor Show and produced in 1951–1952. The 212 Exports won Tour de France automobile, Giro di Sicilia, Coppa della Toscana, 10 Hours of Messina and other motor races throughout its career. It was meant to be a sports car available for oversea markets. The Ferrari 212 Export was an evolution over the preceding 195 S in terms of engine capacity and new chassis. The 212 Export was a race model produced alongside a road-going version, the 212 Inter. The "Export" name was adopted for the racing 212-series instead of the usual "Sport" moniker; as the name suggests, it wanted to aim to present the Maranello house to new foreign markets. Twenty-seven 212 Exports were built, most of them used in competition. It was the first Ferrari model not completely designed by the engineer Gioachino Colombo, since he himself had abandoned Ferrari in January 1951 due to internal conflicts with Aurelio Lampredi. However, the incessant work on the 12-cylinder V designed by Colombo continued by increasing the bore and reaching a total displacement of 2562.51 cc (unitary of just over 213, hence the name "212"), with a power of 150 hp at 6500 rpm. In addition to the innovations regarding the engine, there were also many innovations in the chassis, derived from the 166 MM, such as the experimental chassis called "Tuboscocca". Most bodies of the 212 Export range came from the Ferrari's chosen coachbuilder, Carrozzeria Touring. Classic Touring Barchetta shape graced a total of eight cars, while another four received a closed berlinetta body style. Over the years other coachbuilders have tried their hand on this high-performance GT, from Vignale with the usual berlinettas and convertibles, up to Motto and Fontana, with interpretations bordering on extravagance. The Fontana di Padova body shop built for the Marzotto brothers, based on a design by Franco Reggiani, two particular Ferrari cars, a barchetta known as the "Carretto Siciliano", with which the Scuderia Marzotto took part in the 1951 Giro di Sicilia, winning second place, and a second car, an extremely aerodynamic berlinetta, built on a Ferrari 212 Export chassis, called "Ferrari Uovo" for the oval-shaped front radiator grille, which participated in two editions of the Mille Miglia in 1952 and 1953.
This specific car chassis no. 225 0158 / ED has a curious chassis numbering, being the first part of the number 225, however the car is, in all respects, a 212. Ferraris were campaigned frequently and with ferocity by both the factory and wealthy privateers, and the company’s reputation during its early days hinged on the success of its race cars. During these early years, Ferrari created a chassis numbering system that would create legends: the competition cars would be designated an even numbered chassis, whilst road going cars would receive odd chassis numbers. Whilst numerous road going “Inter” models would be built afterwards by Ferrari, this 212 Barchetta would be the final Touring-bodied, race-ready “Export” model built by the factory and fitted with the potent Tipo 212 engine. Chassis no. 0158ED remained in its native Italy for its formative years. It was purchased new by Baron Luigi Bordonaro di Chiaramonte shortly after its completion and a factory road-test on 5 February 1952. Even in the earliest days of the company, Bordonaro was already a previous Ferrari owner, as he had purchased a second-hand 166 Allemano Spider (chassis number 006I) in 1949, and he would go own to own a 750 Monza (chassis number 0530M). Like his 166, the Count’s new 212 would be destined for the race track, with Bordonaro campaigning the car in his native Italy from 1952 to 1955. After great success at the Palermo-Monte Pellegrino Hill Climb in April 1952, where he finished 1st overall, Bordonaro entered his new car in one of the greatest motoring events in the world: the Targa Florio. For a privateer, his 10th overall and 5th in class finishes were incredibly impressive and a testament to Bordonaro’s skill behind the wheel of his little red Barchetta. The remainder of the 1952 season proved to be equally fruitful, with the following year starting off with a 2nd overall at the car’s second outing at the Palermo-Monte Pellegrino Hill Climb. Bordonaro then entered the Targa Florio again, finishing a respectable 16th place. Following a pair of 1st place finishes at the Coppa Dei Templi and the Rigano-Bellolampo Hill Climb, Bordonaro finished 3rd at the III Circuito di Reggio di Calabria, and he would continue his winning ways at the VI Coppa Nissena Hill Climb on 27 September 1953. It is important to note that on 6 June 1952, the original Tipo 212 rear axle was replaced by a stronger Tipo 340 rear axle. A minor accident to the rear end of the car during the Giro di Sicilia in April 1954 took 0158ED out of contention for any major events that season. Nevertheless, the Ferrari returned to the track after it was repaired, and it was raced at the VI Gran Premio Pergusa in August, which was its last race of that year. Chassis no. 0158ED returned for the 1955 season, and it remained competitive, earning one 4th in class and three 1st in class finishes before the end of the season. Shortly thereafter, the car was sold to Edouard Margairaz, of Geneva, Switzerland, and registered as GE-30550. He continued to campaign it throughout 1956, with the car’s most notable outing that year being the Mille Miglia, where Edouard Margairaz was behind the wheel and Robert Gremaud was his navigator. However, after many competitive miles, the car did not finish. This did not discourage Margairaz though, and the car was campaigned in four more events under his name. After its retirement from racing, 0158ED was exported to the United States, where it was showed at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in both 1965 and 1966, taking a Second Place award in 1966. Following: many years of participation in prestigious concours and events.