& updates Ongoing
1956 Lancia Aurelia B24 Convertibile
Why am I an Automotive Masterpiece?
Lancia’s first post-war car, the revolutionary Aurelia, appeared in 1950. Its combination of the first production V6 engine, a 60° design developed by Francesco de Virgilio, with a balanced transaxle gearbox and inboard rear brakes were revelations in post-war Europe.
The fourth series of Aurelias introduced the new de Dion tube rear suspension. The engine was changed from white metal bearings to shell bearings. The fourth series cars were the first Aurelias to be available in left-hand drive and were the first ones to be imported to the US in any number.
An open car, the B24 Spider, was introduced at this time (1954 to 1955) and was well received. It was similar to the B20 coupé mechanically, fitted with the narrow V6 2.5-liter engine, with an 8 inch (203 mm) shorter wheelbase than the coupé. One of Pinin Farina’s masterpieces, the Lancia B24 Spider was first shown at the 1955 Brussels Motor Show. The Spider America (240 units built) was further improved upon during production, resulting in the B24 Convertible.
In July 1956, Lancia began offering a revised version of the B24S built on the fifth-series Aurelia GT platform, which featured modified camshafts, non-detachable cylinder liners, a new clutch, and direct drive top gear. The new car also featured revised bodywork by replacing the panoramic windscreen with roll-down windows and opening the front quarter lights, a durable soft-top could be added. A one-piece chrome bumper replaced the split-bumper, and the convertible was given larger doors with exterior and interior handles. The convertible is largely considered to be more practical.
The 'S' stood for 'sinistra' - Italian for 'left'.
The second series of this open car, was officially called B24S Convertibile America, only 150 examples of the new B24S were produced before a final revision was enacted in 1957 on the sixth-series Aurelia GT chassis. The 'America' designation indicated the company's intention to market the car to the United States. The latest series of the model lost the “America” officially designation and was called B24S Convertibile. 371 cars were built.
This is one of the 150 B24S Convertibile America and it was owned by Cav. Attilio Camozzi, an Italian Industrial and former Museo della Mille Miglia President.