& updates

1955 Jaguar XK 140 OTS

Chassis no. S800035DN
Engine no. G3 513-8S
Coachbuilder Jaguar
Researches & updates
Beacon ON/OFF
One of 3 works Jaguar XK 140 built in 1955. It raced the 1956 Mille Miglia with Georges Guyot, ranking 40th overall and 1st in class. 1 of only 73 RHD examples.

Why am I an Automotive Masterpiece?

A. Concept and show cars
B. Prototypes
C. One-off models
D. Remaining cars from extremely limited production runs
E. Historic event cars
F. Cars owned by famous people
G. Team cars
H. Works cars
I. Press cars
J. Movie cars
K. Famous chassis’ cars
L. Limited edition cars

L. Limited edition cars

no. 3 manufactured. 1 of 3 Jaguar XK140 OTS works set up by Jaguar for the 1956 Mille Miglia

If there is a brand unmistakably linked to the concepts and philosophy of luxury and sportsmanship, then it must be Jaguar. The Jaguar XK 140 is a sports car manufactured by Jaguar between 1954 and 1957 as the successor to the XK 120. Upgrades included more interior space, improved brakes, rack and pinion steering, increased suspension travel, and telescopic shock absorbers instead of the older lever arm design. The XK 140 was introduced in late 1954 and sold as a 1955 model. Exterior changes that distinguished it from the XK 120 included more substantial front and rear bumpers with overriders, and flashing turn signals (operated by a switch on the dash) above the front bumper. The grille remained the same size but became a one-piece cast unit with fewer, and broader, vertical bars. The Jaguar badge was incorporated into the grille surround. A chrome trim strip ran along the centre of the bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) lid. An emblem on the boot lid contained the words "Winner Le Mans 1951–3". The interior was made more comfortable for taller drivers by moving the engine, firewall and dash forward to give 3 inches (76 mm) more legroom. Two 6-volt batteries, one in each front wing were fitted to the Fixed Head Coupe but Drop Head Coupe and the Open Two Seater had a single 12-volt battery installed in the front wing on the passenger side. The XK 140 was powered by the William Heynes designed 3.4 litre Jaguar XK double overhead camshaft inline-6 engine, with the Special Equipment modifications from the XK 120, which raised the specified power by 10 bhp to 190 bhp gross at 5500 rpm, as standard. The optional C-Type cylinder head carried over from the XK 120 catalogue and produced around 210 bhp at 5750 rpm. When fitted with the C-type head, 2-inch sand-cast H8 carburettors, heavier torsion bars and twin exhaust pipes, the car was designated XK 140 SE in the UK and XK 140 MC in North America. In 1956 the XK 140 became the first Jaguar sports car to be offered with automatic transmission. As with the XK 120, wire wheels and dual exhausts were options, with most XK 140s imported into the United States having the optional wheels. Cars with the standard disc wheels had spats (fender skirts) over the rear wheel opening. Factory spec 6.00 × 16 inch crossply tyres or optional 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 radials could be fitted on either 16 × 5K½ solid wheels or 16 × 5K (special equipment) wire wheels. The Roadster (designated OTS - Open Two Seater) had a light canvas top that folded out of sight behind the seats. The interior was trimmed in leather and leatherette, including the dash. Like the XK 120 roadster, the XK 140 version had removable canvas and plastic side curtains on light alloy barchetta-type doors, and a tonneau cover. The door tops and scuttle panel were cut back by two inches (50mm) compared to the XK 120, to allow a more modern positioning of the steering wheel. The angle of the front face of the doors (A-Post) was changed from 45 degrees to 90 degrees, to make access easier. The windscreen remained removable. The Drophead Coupé (DHC) had a bulkier lined canvas top that lowered onto the body behind the seats, a fixed windscreen integral with the body, wind-up side windows, and a small rear seat. It also had a walnut-veneered dashboard and door cappings. The Fixed Head Coupé (FHC) shared the DHC's interior trim and rear seat. The prototype Fixed Head Coupe retained the XK 120 Fixed Head roof-profile, with the front wings and doors the same as the Drophead. Production cars had the roof lengthened, windscreen placed further forward, shorter front wings, and longer doors, all resulting in easier entry and more interior space and legroom. A stock XK-140 SE could achieve a top speed of 120–125 mph (193–201 km/h). Road & Track's XK-140 MC test in June 1955 recorded a best two-way average of 120.3 mph (193.6 km/h). Best one-way run was 121.1 mph (194.9 km/h). Sports Cars Illustrated's test of the same model in Aug 1957 had a fastest two-way average of 121 mph (195 km/h). Their best one-way run was 124 mph (200 km/h). Karl Ludvigsen's test published in Sports Car World (July 1957) had the same results as the SCI test. Acceleration times from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) were 8.4 seconds, 9.1 seconds, and 9.1 seconds respectively. Only the R&T test tried 0–100 mph (161 km/h) which took 26.5 seconds. Standing 1/4-mile (~400 m) times were 16.6 seconds (82 mph (132 km/h approx.) and 16.9 seconds (86 mph (138 km/h). Chassis numbers as supplied by Jaguar Heritage Trust are the following: 3349 cars built; 73 right hand drive, 3276 left hand drive.

Jaguar XK 140 OTS with chassis no. S800035DN was built as one of the only 3 Works Jaguar XK 140s.The other two, S800033DN and S800034DN were painted British Racing Green, but S800035DN was painted white Cream: the favourite colour of its driver Ian Appleyard, one of the most successful rally drivers of its decade. After the car was sold by Jaguar, it went to France and has been delivered to Mr. Georges Guyot. He drove the car at the 1956 Mille Miglia, finishing in 14 hours, 7 minutes and 15 seconds, ranking 40th overall and winning its class ("Sports cars with price limit, not exceeding Lit. 2.000.000"). Guyot drove the car quite a lot: as can be seen by the oil service paper, the Jaguar had driven almost 50.000 kilometers in 1959. The average amount of kilometers was not reached in the following years: in 1998 the Jaguar had only driven 93.240 kilometers since new. Chassis no. S800035DN was bought in 1966 by the French family Jacquin. Only two owners within the family have had the car since the 10th of february 1966. This example is 1 of the only 73 original Right Hand Drive Jaguar XK 140 OTS’s on a total of 3349 cars built. Furthermore, this example, as 1 of only 36, has the Special Equipment option (MC specification), with C Type head engine and wire wheels. Special equipment includes the optional overdrive. Nowadays the Jaguar is in original condition and in the same specification as it drove the Mille Miglia in 1956. The Jaguar still has its original engine, cylinder head and gearbox (matching numbers). it still has its original soft-top, leather interior, louvres on the bonnet and double petrol filler caps which you can recognize on the old Mille Miglia pictures. Current owner is the 3rd owner of the car from 2010. The car has covered only 108.000 km since new.