1952 Panhard Bianchi Gilco 750 Sport
Why am I an Automotive Masterpiece?
D. Remaining cars from extremely limited production runs
1 of 2 manufactured
G. Team cars
Suderia Ital-France (IT)
L. Limited edition cars
. 1 of 2 manufactured
The Panhard Dyna X is a subcompact class car produced from 1948 to 1953 by the French car manufacturer Panhard. The Dyna X is the first mass-produced car with an all-aluminum body. In 1943, engineer Jean-Albert Grégoire presented a car that incorporates the technical principles of the Amilcar Compound (chassis and suspension), designed on the initiative of the Aluminium Français to promote the use of aluminum in automotive construction. No manufacturer seems interested. However, within the "Plan Pons", Panhard signs an agreement with Grégoire to resume the development of the AFG prototype (Aluminium Français - Grégoire) by supplying the mechanics. The car, which is called Dyna, was born, it has an aluminum body, steel frame, air-cooled aluminum 610 cc twin-cylinder engine, four-speed gearbox, four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs at the front and torsion bars at the rear axle and, above all, front wheel drive. The Dyna was presented at the 1946 Salon de Paris. Production began in October 1947 and the bodies were subcontracted by the Facel-Métallon company (future manufacturer of the luxurious and powerful Facel Véga). Starting from 1948, the small car is sold as Dyna X type 100 (X84), referring to the maximum speed of 100 km/h, with very few differences compared to the 1946 prototype. The 1950 models are distinguished above all by a new grill with central circular motif. Type 110 (X85) replaces type 100. The 3 hp engine rises from 22 hp to 28 hp SAE. In April, a 745 cc 4 hp engine with a power of 32/34 hp is mounted on the type 120 (X86). In February 1952, the new optional 4 hp Sprint engine offers 36/37 hp thanks to a new camshaft and a double barrel carburettor. In April the derivative roadster Dyna X Junior is launched. In June, the Dyna X type 130 (X87) was equipped with a 5 hp 851 cc engine. In December, types 110 and 120 are eliminated. For the 1953 models, the type 130 reaches 130 km/h with the option of the Sprint 5 hp 40 hp engine. The Dyna X was a fairly generous car for the market segment it was going to occupy: its 3.82 m in length brought it closer to higher-class cars, but its small engine put it in competition with cars such as the Renault 4CV, one of its most direct rivals. It was available both as a sedan, as a convertible and also as a station wagon; the van version (Dyna K) also arrived. The line was decidedly nonconformist, very rounded, with protruding front headlights. The public, initially perplexed because of the unusual shapes of the car, then ended up appreciating it, by virtue of its handling and economy. The performance was also more than good for the time. The Dyna X was built on a tubular chassis and the aluminum alloy body made it lighter and therefore more lively in road behavior. There were many sporting interpretations and the coachbuilders created aerodynamic sports cars, both closed and open. In 1953, the Dyna X was discontinued and replaced by the Dyna Z.
Usually, the name Crepaldi is closely linked to Ferrari’s world, as it was one of the first and most important Ferrari’s dealer. Crepaldi, anyway, was also the importer of the French Panhard in Italy. That’s why, with an eye to the promotion and a passion for the races, Gastone Crepaldi decided to make racing cars with Panhard mechanics. And that’s also why he created the Italfrance team around these cars. The team leader Aldo (Tino) Bianchi was, at the same time, the man that assembled the Sport Panhards. The heart was the Dyna X86 engine, an air-cooled boxer unit, two cylinder and 745cc. The first cars were all bodied by Allemano. With their front wheel drive, these little Sports changed the balances and some rules in early ‘50s. Moreover, the cars were continuously updated: Gilco was called to build a tubular “cage” chassis, using Fiat suspensions, and for 1953 a couple of them received, by the coachbuilder Colli, a “disco volante” shape similar to the shocking “disco volante” Alfa Romeo of the previous year, designed by Touring but built by Colli itself. Only two “disco” have been built and both have been raced. Only one of the two has kept this shape, while the other has evolved, once again, into a barchetta by Autocorse.
The Panhard Bianchi Gilco 750 Sport with chassis no. 008145 is one of the two examples produced and it is the one that has maintained its "disco volante" shape throughout its racing life; a shape that it still proudly wears today. Its history begins in May 1952, when it becomes property of the “Panhard et Levassor Paris” dealer in Novara, Boroli, and registered with an Italian plate. In January 1953, the car became property of the racing driver Franco Girardi who, in April, would take it to race the Mille Miglia. The car is out of luck: after passing Rome, leading the 750 category, and having covered most part of the race, unfortunately, the crankshaft broke. The following year, the car returned to the Mille Miglia, still under the aegis of the Ital-France team but with a different driver: Libero Bindi. Again, the car has no luck: half-way between Brescia and Rome, the car breaks down. The car will race again in 1959 at the 1st Rallye della Toscana and in the 60s. After a long period of oblivion, we find the car again in 2000 starting a second demanding career in historic races, Mille Miglia re-enactment in primis.